Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Friday, July 10, 2015

Holy Crap... I'm a Stepmom.

T has 2 children from his first marriage - ages 19 and 13. Blessedly, we get along really well. They were both incredibly positive about our wedding and even served as Maid of Honor and Best Man. And after the initial shock wore off, became really excited about Baby.

I've never really categorized our relationship. They are T's children and a huge part of my life. But I've never used a label. Then yesterday someone asked how my stepchildren are doing. What? Who? Huh?

Because what does that mean to be a stepmom? Are we friends? Am I another parental figure? Am I an influential adult?



I guess the answer is probably all of the above but labels can be limiting so I don't really want to go there. After all, these kids didn't ask for a stepmom but they have accepted me into their lives. So I am just fine being Dad's wife. It doesn't change how I feel about them or how I act but gives us the flexibility to define who we want to be to one another. And that's enough for now. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment