Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Friday, January 6, 2012

Gotta Dance!

My mother put me in dance class before I was 4. Tap and ballet and I took to it like a fish takes to water. As I got older, I joined a competitive line and expanded into jazz, production and novelty routines. At its height, we were traveling to compete and our weekend long recital included up to 9 routines in 5 performances. My mom recently gave me the videos of those performances and I don't know how she sat through those 3+ hour recitals. Talk about dreadful! I mean, it is one thing to watch your own kid dance but to watch relative strangers? She definitely deserves some type of medal of honor for that!

In my mid-teens I dropped out of dance. Decided I'd rather focus on high school and ended up being a cheerleader for a year. Got kicked off because I didn't like having my back to the game but that is a story for another blog...

I've always loved any type of live theater so was psyched when my Theater Club went to see Billy Elliott last week at the Kennedy Center. And as we walked out, I knew it was time to pick up my tap shoes again. Imagine my delight the next day when I went to tea for my grandmother's birthday to find out that one of my "aunts" taps! So I'm going to start looking for lessons and one of my girlfriends said she would join me. Because watching tap dancing on stage made me happy so I imagine dancing myself will make me even happier! But don't alert Broadway yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment