Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Sunday, January 22, 2012

It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's... Shallow Gal?

I attended a board retreat last week that started with "speed networking". You were given 4 questions to ask and answer as you went around the room meeting people. One of the questions was, if you were a superhero and could have any superpower you wanted, what would it be? Now, remember, you only had 30 seconds to think of an answer. So think of yours right now. What would it be? And you can't change it!

I said I would be invisible. Basically, so I would always know what was going on around me. The first person I spoke to said he would be able to teleport. Great! We are on the same wavelength. I was feeling pretty good about my choice.

And then I met Michael. Michael said, "I would rid the world of all disease." Seriously? That's what you come up with in 30 seconds??? I'm not saying it isn't totally admirable but what superhero are you basing it on? Am I really that shallow? "Of course", I responded, "well since I am invisible, I can steal all the research you need to help rid the world of disease." Aren't I helpful?

But the more I thought about it, the more shallow I felt so I responded the way any self-respecting cynic would. I shot holes in his superpower. "You know, if you rid the world of all disease, we would have overpopulation and that would result in new problems." Who am I???

I met another teleporter and then a guy who would cure Dementia. And a woman who would make sure all families had all their basic needs met. And a guy who would end starvation in third world countries. Are you kidding me??? What happened to wanting to fly or turn yourself into anything?

And to add insult to injury, someone said they were surprised I wouldn't have asked for all the shoes in the world. OK, first of all, that isn't a superpower. I could ask Santa for that. Second of all, I work for a nonprofit too! Don't I have even the slightest image of wanting to do good in the world?

To add insult to injury, I was wearing my simple, 10 year old Kenneth Cole black patent loafers. And as I walked through ATL, I realized they had given me a blister. Was this shoe karma? Was the universe trying to tell me something? Fine. I'd like to change my response. If I could have any superpower in the world, I would make sure everyone in the world had comfortable, functional, stylish shoes.

Now, what would you call me?

No comments:

Post a Comment