Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Why are Golf Shoes so Ugly?


So I don't golf. I own clubs. I own a hat. Until recently, I owned a pair of shoes. But I don't golf. It frustrates the heck out of me and the only 2 people who could ever keep me calm on a golf course were my brother and my father. For some reason, their patience and reassurance always put me at ease.

My dad is a good golfer. Steady, consistent, loves the sport. I think he is probably happiest on the golf course. So once a year, I dust off the clubs and play with my dad. I moan, groan and complain but secretly I love every second of it. It's awesome father/daughter time.

To be honest, I dream of golfing regularly. The stupid sport just intimidates me so much. I have no upper body strength (circuit training will soon fix that!) and feel like for every time my dad swings a club, I swing twice.

So you can imagine what a huge leap it is for me to agree to pay in a tournament with colleagues. I texted my dad and asked him what I had to do to be ready in 3 weeks. His response? "Visit the driving range twice, play 9 holes with me and practice drinking beer." I've got 1 of those 3 tasks covered!

So today I went to buy new golf shoes because I lost one of mine in the move. I was really upset - I loved those shoes and, in case you don't know, golf shoes are hideous. Why can't Giuseppe Zanotti or Christian Laboutin design them? Michael Kors or BCBG? I'd even settle for Steve Madden! Unfortunately they don't, so I am stuck. Plain, white, pink-trimmed Footjoy in a size 8 for me. They are comfy but I am convinced they make my feet look humongous. I don't know that for sure because there weren't any mirrors to look at when trying them on. Dick's Sporting Goods should take a lesson from DSW!

Tomorrow I'm going to the driving range and to play 9 with my dad... in my ugly shoes. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment