Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Changing Lives


Our office has a rotating gallery space on the first floor where we hang artwork created by residents of member communities. The latest request is for staff to write, in 50 words or less, about a person over the age 65 who changes lives. For me, the selection was simple but the 50 words or less was not.
Grandaddy is nothing short of Santa Claus for me. When I was in kindergarten, he actually visited our class in a Santa suit and I had no idea it was him. Despite the fact that my brother was his elf. What can I say, I was desperate to believe!
Not a day goes by that I don't think of him as a gift. He was quite a devilish charcter in his younger days, I've been told. He still has that mischievous twinkle in his eye. He has done so much for so many, and this is my small tribute to him.
He served his country in the Navy and Washington, DC on the police force. He cared for my Grammie throughout the later years of her life. He gave Joan, his new wife, and she gave him a second chance at love. He supports his parish financially and with his volunteerism - painting, counting donations, delivering communion to those in need, remembering birthdays, and on and on. (Joan helps him do most of that!) He and Joan deliver food to soup kitchens. He would do anything he could for his family and has given all of us more than he will ever know through generosity, laughter and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment