Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Faith and Patience

I read a quote from a recent philosopher (Rev Run) that said without patience, you can have no faith. And vice versa. What a shame to be lacking in both...

I am an impatient person. Just ask my family, friends, husband, colleagues... you get the hint. When Paul told my dad he wanted to marry me, my dad reminded him that I am "impatient on the golf course". The golf course might as well be life. At the beginning of Lent, I told my Grandaddy I was going to try and be more patient. He told me that was futile since I come by it honest - he tried to be more patient for 80+ years and it never happened. Apparently it is in my genes...

I do try everyday. And I refuse to give up. For example, we have been living in an 800 square foot apartment for almost 2 months and I haven't run away or caused bodily harm to anyone. That's a good sign, right?

So from my grandfather's gene pool I inherited impatience. From my Grammie's side I got the worry gene. It is tough to have faith when you are constantly worrying. Unfortunately, Paul is the one who gets to listen to all of my fretting. "What if the financing falls through?" "What if the Russians don't deliver our stuff?" (I think that is an actual legitimate concern.) "What if one of us gets fired?" "What if wild bears come and get Stella & Sophie because our yard isn't fenced in?" "What if _______________?"

I'm going to try and turn over a new leaf! New house means new beginnings, right? Tomorrow is our home inspection and I have faith it will go well and we will close on October 2nd. I will patiently follow the home inspector around as he does his job. I will then patiently turn the corkscrew into the wine bottle and have faith that 1 glass will not be enough. What can I say, I'm a work in progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment