Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Saturday, October 19, 2013

A "Runner's" Story


Trying out for the cheerleading squad in high school required running a mile in 10 minutes or less. I did it, but during the run some of the baseball players who were standing around watching us started quacking. According to them, I ran like a duck. 11 years of ballet helped turn my feet out but I had no idea I looked like that until that moment.  To say their quacking really hurt is a gross understatement. I vowed never to run again unless in an emergency. (I later learned at BC that running for a cab when it was raining constituted an emergency).

Fast forward 20+ years and I still was not a runner. But a few months ago, while reading my daily newsletter from The Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans, I decided to check out the Couch to 5K app.  I wondered, could I do this?  What would be the worst outcome?  I have a treadmill in the basement so no one can see me and quack.  And so I started.  I did have a 3 week break so even though I began in July, I am just now on week 7.  That means running for 25 straight minutes or 2.5 miles. And I'm doing it!  I may be slow (I am only running 2 miles in 25 minutes) but I am completing each challenge.  I hate every minute of it except for when I am done.  Then, I feel an incredible sense of accomplishment.

So of course I had to get fitted for real running shoes.  And for the first time in my life, I didn't pay attention to what they looked like but only how they felt when I bought them.  Now that's transformation! And when Ian at The Running Store showed me my running video I couldn't believe my eyes.  I DON'T RUN LIKE A DUCK!!! So my feet are slightly turned out but that's OK.  It's not noticeable.  20+ years of trauma for no reason.  Some boys are mean!

My Bestie's 8 year old daughter is currently training for a 5K through Girls on the Run.  This incredible program helps girls learn self-confidence through physical activity.  And as a grown woman, my C25K app is doing the same for me.  I never realized how much I needed this until I started doing it. And I am so proud of my niece for trying running too!

It just goes to show, we can learn something new at any age.  And the key is simple, believe in yourself and you can do it.  The only person holding you back is you.  Shutting up the voice in your head telling you can't is the biggest challenge of all but with each step on that treadmill, I am doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment