Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Sunday, May 29, 2011

A (Not So) Formal Affair

I love getting dressed up. The gown, the sparkles, the make-up, ah yes, the shoes. Every year one of my FPs invites me to his organization's gala. This year, I had to pass because another FP was getting married. But he invited me to a gala in my hometown that I could make. So imagine my delight when shopping with Bride FP for her rehearsal dinner dress on a girls' weekend in Orlando and I find the perfect gown. It was so perfect, in fact, that the store shipped it for free because, as the manager said, "it was made for me."

So you can understand how excited I was when the gala date arrived. I even got my hair done. As I did my make-up, however, I started to realize that this evening may not happen. You see, Stella was sick. Very sick. She had been to the vet and they put her on antibiotics for a severe infection but she wouldn't stop screaming. So, off to the vet we went on a rainy Friday night.

And there we sat for hours until the x-rays showed nothing more serious (thank God) but we had missed the party. (I must admit I was the most glamorous person at the vet - from the neck up.) I was so sad... Not only was I missing a night with FPs, but I was missing the opportunity to wear my new gown and shoes. (Please don't get me wrong - I was thrilled Stella was going to be OK. All she needed were some narcotics to help her get through the tough part of her infection.)

And then I was presented with an alternative. Don our fancy duds and have a dance at home. So I put on my gown and slipped into my stilettos. And even Stella felt better once she saw my shoes (or it could have been the pain shot from the vet). Isn't it wonderful to have someone in your life who can make lemonade out of lemons? Or in this case, a formal affair out of a kitchen and an iTouch playlist?

No comments:

Post a Comment