Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Saturday, November 20, 2010

For My Niece

12 years ago today the world was given a gift, my niece Grayson. I was not there for her birth having chosen instead to visit Mr. Right Then's family for the Thanksgiving holiday. I remember crying a lot because it was the wrong choice.

3 weeks later, however, I was sandwiched in between Mr. Right Then and his very large roommate in the front cab of a U-Haul. Yep, I was hitching a ride between Smokey and Smokier from Boston to St. Louis where my baby niece awaited the arrival of her favorite aunt (OK, yes I am embellishing here - writer's prerogative!) My brother and sister-in-law had moved to St. Louis and I was going to live in a hotel room with them for a week to help out while they looked for someplace permanent. So 14 hours on the road and I finally had Grayson in my arms. My traveling companions would tell you I didn't even say goodbye to them. It was love at first sight.

Grayson has grown into this incredible person. Not only is she smart and beautiful, but she is caring and earnest. She loves animals and fashion (she's currently OBSESSED with the knee-high brown boots Grannie bought her). I know she is going to make a huge difference in this crazy world someday - bigger than she already has to those who love her.

I've lived a very complicated life and the moment I met my niece, it all seemed to make sense. Perhaps I could save her from some of the heartache I have gone through just by being a presence in her life. It's a nice dream to dream...

I don't see her nearly enough and hope to change that moving forward. But today, on her special day, I wanted her to know that even though I don't see her as often as I'd like, I love her more than she'll ever know. And I'm amazingly proud to be her Aunt Messy. Happy Birthday, Grayson!

No comments:

Post a Comment