Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

I CHOOse You!

Yesterday was my 39th birthday and I must admit I was not thrilled about it. Don't get me wrong, I have much in my life to be thankful for and I am - especially having another birthday! But it's hard not to reflect on the first half of your life and wonder how you got where you are, what you could have done differently, what the next half will be like. And so, I got a little melancholy.

T doesn't stand for that. He hates to see me sad and was so excited it was my birthday he sang to me at 2:00 am when he took the doggies out. Then again at 5:30. And at 7, we were up! He saw that look in my eye and said it was time to open my presents.  The first was an ornament with our picture in it to hang on our tree. I loved it - nothing better than a homemade present. Well, almost nothing...

In box #2 were the long lost loves of my life. The classic, 4 1/2" heel platform black suede Jimmy Choo pump. I almost wept with joy as I hugged them to my chest. And kissed T of course! (And then wore them all around the house with my fleece pants and pullover.)

When I first met T, he said he could never see spending that kind of cash on shoes. After all, he beats his to death. For goodness sake, think about how many golf clubs or engine parts you could get for what one pair of high-end shoes cost. And yet, he did this. He took a tape measure into my closet to try and get the size right (my closet includes shoes sized 8.5 - 9.5 so it can be very confusing) and sought expert advice (from our good friends at Saks) before taking the plunge. He did his research!

Here's the thing:  this isn't just about getting my first pair of Jimmy Choos. It's about what is behind the gift.  That we can strive to be better people because we want to deserve the love we have. That the person you love's happiness can sometimes be more important than your own. That seeing a light come on behind sad eyes because of what you have done makes it all worthwhile. These aren't just shoes. They are a symbol of a love that has grown because two people are intentional about communication, respect, kindness. They may as well be a diamond ring because these beauties are proof positive that T chose me. And I will continue to choose him everyday for the next half of my life and beyond. Happy Birthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment