Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Messy in Fabulous Shoes

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Different Shapes and Sizes

As I sat in Christmas mass last night, I looked at all of the families filling the pews. In front of me was a family of 4 plus grandparents. To the left of them, a mom and 2 daughters. Behind me, a couple with a very cranky toddler. To the right, a woman about 10 years older than me who cried the whole mass. And me.

All I've ever wanted was a family of my own, and I had always imagined it would mean me, a husband, and a kid or 2. But as I looked around Holy Trinity, I realized that families, like shoes, come in all shapes and sizes. I guess I've always known that, but never applied it to my life.

As the priest talked about Jesus bringing light to the world when it was in its darkest time, so did that realization bring light to mine. So this morning, I watched Sophie and Stella investigate the toys "Santa" left for them under our tree. It is Christmas morning. It is a time to be grateful for the blessings in my life... my differently shaped and sized family. And I can't wait to see what is on the horizon for me and my pups in Christmases to come.

I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas.

1 comment: